Physical Laboratory of Low-Dimensional Systems is a structural unit of Volgograd State Socio-Pedagogical University. It had been established in 2016. The laboratory is headed by prof. Kryuchkov S.V.
Theoretical group (including 6 to 12 employees at different times) engaging in the field of physics of nanoscale structures (semiconductor superlattices, graphene, graphene superlattices, two-dimensional structures) has been working for several decades in Volgograd State Socio-Pedagogical University. The work of the scientific group was carried out on the basis of the Department of General Physics of the above university until 2016. The laboratory cooperates with the Volgograd State Technical University. Currently employees are united into the research laboratory is called as “Physical Laboratory of Low-Dimensional Systems“.
Aims and Scientific Areas
The next areas within which the researches are performed in the Laboratory can be highlighted:
(1) A Investigation of the photon drag effect which is the basis of a new method for diagnosing of the low-dimensional semiconductor structures.
(2) Study of electromagnetic solitons in semiconductor superlattices and of new type of electromagnetic soliton-like pulses in graphene-based materials.
(3) Investigations of the ways for stabilization of the form of the solitary electromagnetic waves in superlattices with dissipation.
(4) Theoretical study of the so-called Dirac materials which are new and perspective for nanoelectronics materials. For instance these materials include graphene-based structures and superlattices, silicene, germanene, topological insulators etc.
(5) Theoretical investigation of high-frequency electromagnetic radiation effect on the electron dynamic in graphene-based materials and study of so-called Floquet states.
(6) Investigation of the plasma oscillations in Dirac materials and low-dimensional semiconductor structures.
(7) Computer modeling of the kinetic properties of solids by the Monte-Carlo
The scientific problems of Laboratory are:
(1) The research within the programs of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation and other scientific programs of the Russian Federation.
(2) Investigation of electrodynamics properties and collective phenomena in low-dimensional solid structures within the scientific areas of the Laboratory.
(3) Establishment of scientific contacts and scientific and technical cooperation with educational and scientific institutions of Russia.
(4) Approbation of the obtained scientific results.
Laboratory also performs the next educational problems:
(1) Attracting students to the research in the field of solid state physics and low-dimensional systems.
(2) Implementation of educational programs on the profile of the Laboratory.
(3) Training of scientific and pedagogical staff.
(4) The introduction of the obtained scientific results in the educational process in the areas of training students and graduate students.
The results obtained by the Laboratory staff are published in the journals indexed by databases Web of Science and Scopus. They can be used:
• for diagnostics of kinetic properties of semiconductor and graphene-like structures;
• in nano- and optoelectronic engineering when creating nanoelectronic devices (radiation amplifiers, soliton delay lines, soliton memory cells, field-effect transistors, etc.);
• in devices which work is based on charge carriers Floquet-states tunable by an external high-frequency field;
• in long-distance information transfer technologies based on plasmon dynamics.
Laboratory staff regularly take part both in All-Russian and International conferences:
• International seminars “Physical and mathematical modeling of systems” (Voronezh)
• International conferences “Radiation physics of the solid state” (Sevastopol)
• International conferences “Nanomaterials: Applications and Properties” (Odesa, Ukraine)
• All-Russian seminars “Wave phenomena in inhomogeneous media” and “Physics and application of microwaves” (Lomonosov Moscow State University), etc.
In 2011 the results of the activity of the Laboratory research team were presented at the IV International Forum on Nanotechnology RUSNANOTECH 2011.
The main publications of employees of the Laboratory are reflected in the section Publications.